Monday, April 26, 2010

My Meeting with God


My Meeting with God

I went to heaven last night. Heaven is an indescribable beauty so I won’t bother trying. Just know that all you have heard is true and more. The more is that, there are different genres of music in heaven, and each has their unique hall.

I peeped into the afro music hall (All African musicians stay here) and I could hear Da’Grin performing already. He was rocking the joint; I saw Fela lurking in the shadows waiting for his turn to perform. But I digress.

I was there to discuss with God. I saw him sitting on the throne.

God: My son welcome. (He was flashing me the fatherly smile, but I was not buying it. Things are not okay with me and I frowned to let him know)

Me: Baba, Things are not okay. I have many things to complain about.

God: Ok, come and lie in my arms and start talking. (Trust the ever obstinate me, I just bone dey my side)

Me: God, I don’t understand why I am sometimes happy and sometimes sad. Why some good things happen and some bad things. Why can’t I be happy all the time and good things happen...?

(Cuts in)

God: You have sunlight and then you have night. Everything can’t remain the same all the time. There must be a time for everything. A cyclic movement...

(I cut in too)

Me: You are waxing philosophical on me again. I have read that from Solomon.

God: But, boy it is true.

Me: Why did you take Da’Grin so early? Stupid people and wicked people still live longer than the good and relevant ones, people like Nigerian politicians ... IBB ... OBJ and the rest.

God: Ha, you are insulting my creation. Anyway, people die when their time is up and for the bad people I give them time to change. So they live longer because of my mercy. I take the good ones before they turn bad. Da’Grin had achieved his purpose and his time was up.

(In the background Gboro is playing)

Me: Let me just tell you or let me just beg you not to take me any time soon, or I am dead at the moment. (Heart beating as fast as Hussien Bolt on a track)

God: No you are not dead, calm down. Your time would come. I won’t tell you when. It is a surprise for everyone and I won’t spoil it. Just be prepared.

Me: Why did you make me a Nigerian? This, my country is so messed. I can’t begin to enumerate all the problems.

God: Ha, I tried for your country. I gave her everything: oil, human resources, and no natural disasters.

Me: There is a natural disaster ooh! – Our leaders. They are a tragic lot.

God: Well. You guys have to get it right. You people have to engineer the change you want. You people tend to leave it in my hands by saying “God dey.” But, you miss it.

Me: There is a lot of imbalance. The imbalance is everywhere.

(I observed him nodding his head to Fela’s Zombie)

Me: I don’t know what to do with my life ooh! I am just lethargic to everything.

God: Ah! We go to the main reason you are here.

Me: So you know I have been depressed a lot umm! I am tired of groping in the dark. I want to know what my calling is.

God: You have to find it, it is in you.

(Cuts in)

Me: You have started with your riddles and coding. I don’t like it at all. That “It is in you” sounds like a peak advert.

God: It is in you. As you journey you would find it. Search the Bible and you would see it

Me: Ha, your Bible... great book. I love the Old Testament; I like the wars and stories in it. There is no genre of literature you don’t see in the Bible. I like the fantasy in Revelation, I like the romance in Songs of Solomon; the amazing prose all over. But, I can’t see anything that tells me about what my story would be like.

God: Now, I would give you some expo. You have to search inside yourself, communicate with your soul and spirit. You would find a talent, you would find something you like doing, something that gives you joy. Then hone it, fine-tune it like gold in fire and then you would be doing it.

Me: (smiling) I have drank from you spring and I am glad. Like a deer pants for water and gets it, you have quenched my soul. So now I want to listen to Fela, Da’Grin and the rest of my favourite musicians here.

God: (Now frowning L) your time is up, time to go. Shoo.

Before, I woke up. I went to the music hall and listened to performances from all the departed musicians I loved. Da’Grin performed his “if I die song” He told me to thank you all for the outpouring of messages on twitter, face book and the media. He said you should not cry for him.

No comments: