Sunday, August 30, 2009

TWO WRITERS


TWO WRITERS
To be a writer is to journey on the road less travelled, it an arduous task, fraught with internal battles, conflicts with your mind. So it’s a thing off joy to interact with people, who have travelled on the road, and have reach El Dorado.
I am going to be talking about two of my writer friends, named ON and JD. ON and I met for lunch in one of the eateries around Lagos, for him to spare time out for me is well-appreciated, because as a celebrity he is a busy person, with a lot of travelling to do, book-in-progress, and what-not. The discussion was centered on literature and the book I am working on.
Our discussion revolved round, the idea of my book, point of view, voice, style, and he was very helpful, it was clear, he wanted to help and support, he gave me a suggestion of books to read, ideas to take note of, how to go about publishing, when my work is done.
I am indeed thankful for his contribution, because in this field of ours, there is no support structure, no mentoring from the established acts to the upcoming ones, those up the ladder, rarely give a helping hand. He also told me when he was working on his book; he was greatly assisted by JD.
JD is a senior colleague, he has won many accolades and awards for his writing, he is also a friend, even though I have not met him physically, he has aided this writing ambition of mine, by teaching me the intricacies of the game, I have not had any formal training on writing, reading his blog is the closest to learning I have ever had. I have read his blog cover to cover.
I would say he is a masterful teacher, indirectly given me a list of books to read, and I have read most of them, and taught me most of the things I need to know to be able to evoke a “wow” from readers. It is through him, I got to know, what plot, character, style theme, and narrative perspectives etc are? He is one of the few, who gives unrequited assistance to coming writers. Thank you JD.
Already established writers are busy people that we know, but then they need to give back to upcoming ones, I would like to call it a writers social responsibility (WSF) coined out of the word corporate social responsibility, they should try to give back by mentoring, giving seminars, and offering general help and assistance, to make the road smoother for the upcoming ones.
How would it be, if there are no writers to fill the void of the Wole Soyinkas, Ben Okris, Chinua Achebes and the likes, when they are gone?

2 comments:

Sylva Nze Ifedigbo said...

The call you just made for established writers to help budding ones up the stage is one that is so apt. For long its been an "All Man to Him self" thing. This has not helped our writing. We must learn that it is in making others great that we truely find our own greatness. Thats why i very much appreciate Chimamanda Adichie's annual Creative writing seminars. We need many such forums.

JD like you mentioned has been teaching so many people through his blog. I have been there a couple of times. Teju Cole has been using his column in NEXT to do same. ON is also a friend and my relationship with him has been built on a commiment to creative writing.

Welldone.

wordsmith said...

thanks for dropping by,TC has been doing well,infact,i am mad with myself for failing to acknowledge him...i wish all d big name writers could read this..